www.ShoptheLibrary.com

Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Beware the Ides of March.

Last month my supervisor told me that she would be leaving the Library at the end of April. She had mentioned about wanting to leave before, but I never expected her departure to be this soon.  Honestly, I was hoping to have found a full time librarian job before she left.

There are 5 people who are interested in her position and through my meager inter-branch networking, I have 2 names.  I just hope that whomever replaces her is just as great a supervisor as she is.  She is the best supervisor I have had while in the library system.  She's young, she's into technology, she has excellent people skills, she's very intelligent and has a high emotional intelligence.  The Library is doing a horrible job of preparing/nurturing/encouraging current employees for succession into management positions. 

Libraries are HORRIBLE when it comes to planning for the future.  If public libraries ever go the way of the dinosaur, the giant asteroid would be the librarians at the helm.

No comments:

Post a Comment