www.ShoptheLibrary.com

Tuesday, August 11, 2009

"Funny People" Movie Review

I have watched more movies than I have read books the past couple of years, so I don't think I could suggest any good books to read, does the "Where's Waldo?" Trilogy count?
First off, let me say how much I enjoy Judd Apatow's movies. I am a huge fan and I like the clique that his movies bring along: Leslie Mann, Jonah Hill, Seth Rogan, Aziz Ansari, etc. I really do, I would marry Leslie Mann in a heartbeat.
But just because Adam Sandler's career has been going downhill (remember "You Don't Mess With the Zohan," I wish I didn't) does not mean he needs to drag down these talented people with him. I used to like Adam Sandler's movies; even the immature Happy Gilmore and Billy Madison. I feel like his latest flicks have been last ditch efforts to get screen time and some extra paychecks before he calls it quits. Like the majority of people who have reviewed this movie, I agree that this movie is much too long. I don't know if this is a spoiler alert, but Adam Sandler's character has a deadly disease he is battling with, and to be honest I wish his character died. I really do, because with each passing minute of being put through this, I was dying. I have watched a lot of movies and have only witnessed people leaving during 3 of them: "Forgetting Sarah Marshall" an elderly couple walked right out after, I believe, the third scene of Jason Segel's privates, "Dave Chappelle's Block Party" I assume the people thought it would have been more of his stand up instead of a concert, and this horrible, horrible movie.
I just feel like Adam Sandler was a main contributing factor as to why this movie didn't flow as well as other Apatow works. He does not belong in this "group of friends."I can see what Apatow was aiming for: a serious, real life situation that is supposed to be naturally filled with comedy when you have comedians hanging out with each other. But this attempt fell flat on its face. The amount of penis and testicle jokes is ridiculous. I am not saying I have never laughed at those kind of jokes, but seriously, after the 10th comment about that certain region you quickly tire of it. How can you have a serious issue mixed in with simple and idiotic penis jokes?I am unsure why people thought it was so funny, maybe I just expected a comedic blockbuster like "40 Year Old Virgin" or "Knocked Up." Those movies contained real life situations where the comedy flowed naturally and didn't feel forced or faked.
The comedy was highly lacking and I think this movie labeling this movie as a Comedy is highly misleading and should be changed to Drama. While they are at it, the title should also be changed to "Funny People in an Unfunny Movie," or at least add a question mark to it: "Funny People?" For shame Judd...

No comments:

Post a Comment