www.ShoptheLibrary.com

Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Punch a Patron in the Face Day...

I will be the first to admit that working the circulation desk is easy breezy. But like in all jobs, there will be errors, whether human or mechanical. Fortunately for me, the biggest possible error I could make is overcharge someone's credit card(which my manager has done) but that is easily fixed, no damage done.

So it pissed me off yesterday when I heard a patron ask a volunteer who was working the circ desk to check in her books because she's had problems with them not being checked in properly. After all of her returns were checked in she told the volunteer, " this wouldn't be necessary if you did your jobs." I was in earshot and the patron was lucky she was not in arms length because I would have popped her(ok in my mind I would have). After she stomped off, the volunteer and I just looked at each other and rolled our eyes.

Yes, there have been plenty of times were people have been charged for an overdue book(s) that was not checked in properly and found on the shelf. I know how frustrating it can be. But you know what, it is easily fixed. It does not involve bringing 2 state issued ID's and a urine sample to clear your name. It could even be done over the phone. The comment about not doing our jobs is just plain low. I did go over to the computer and made note of the patron's name --- let's see what happens next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment