www.ShoptheLibrary.com

Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Patrons Behaving Badly part II

Last Sunday, I ended up working at the County instead of the usual Sunday shift at the City library system.

Let me just say, that the patrons that come in on Sundays are NOT the same ones that come in during the other 6 days of the week.  I only recognized a handful of the 1000+ people that walked through the doors.

My first hour on the desk started with a patron coming up to me and telling me, "Just to let you know, the guy at the internet sign up station is intoxicated.  You might want to keep an eye on him."  Great, yet another drunk in the library.  This guy was surely drunk, and as I looked at the lower right hand corner of the computer screen, I was thinking to myself, "It's 5 o'clock somewhere (in the middle of the ocean.)"  He was wobbling back and forth as he was jabbing at the keys to enter in his account number.  I watched this go on for a good 5 minutes, wondering if someone at the Reference desk would notice the drunkard squinting at the keyboard.  I could only assume that it was turned into a waiting game between Circ and Info to see who would have to deal with him. 

Luckily the guy gave up, and wandered into the stacks.  Before I knew it, he was passed out in a chair in the periodicals.  Since Circ had a better line of sight on the guy in this location, the Info manager told us to watch him and I could read her mind as she told us this and it read, "SUCKERS!"  He slept for an hour or so, and by the time I came back on to the desk he made his way out.  Apparently this guy was found unresponsive at an internet terminal the week before. 

You think that his tolerance level would go up and he would have been able to sign off the internet this time instead of drooling on the keyboard and having the space-bar imprinted on his cheek.  At this rate, he'll be passed out just outside the front doors next week.

No comments:

Post a Comment