www.ShoptheLibrary.com

Monday, June 27, 2011

Rex Libris: Kick-Ass Librarian the Bibliotecher Remix part 1


I first came across Rex Libris a few months ago at the circ desk.  The cover caught my eye and when I flipped through it, I interrogated my coworkers if they knew about the series and if they said 'yes' I would berate them for not telling me about it.  C'mon now, a comic book collector and an MLIS student, you didn't think I would be interested in it, some friend you are!

I broke out my internet stalking skills and looked for more information about Rex Libris.  I came across the SLG Publishing website and I hit the store up for all the Rex Libris comics they had, I also bought a Rex statue, what comic book character isn't complete without a figure.

Later I found myself talking to the only other under 30 male coworker about it and I showed him a picture of the statue.  He had the same geek reaction as I did and he asked if I was going to put it in my cubicle, I said that branch management would probably have a hissy fit because he's holding a gun.  He concurred and we looked at the hand-held scanners in front of us and we both had the same thought, "How bad-ass would it be if it was a barcode scanner instead?!" 

Thus the seed was planted and I started researching what I would need to make this happen.  I have been known to doodle during staff meetings but I do not consider myself artistic at all.  Creative-yes, artistic-hells no.  I figured if I was going to reshape the gun into a barcode scanner, I might as well do other things.

The first thing I did was cut the top of the gun off, while I was at it I figured that I might as well cut the alien hand off.  What kind of barcode scanner could cut an alien hand off anyways right???  hmmmmm ::Googles "Barcode Scanner AND Industrial Strength Laser AND A-hole Patron Control":: ....


I decided I was going to shape that area into another book instead, yay--more work.  If I'm putting all this effort into one simple mod, why can't I do more?  That's one of my problems, when I get into something, I get into it.  There's no half-assing, it's all or nothing.  One most recent example would be getting back into comics after I came across my old collection.  It amounted to one short box with room to spare, weak I know but I spent a lot of money at the arcade when I was younger okay.  Now they've procreated in the past few months and are now taking up 12 FULL short boxes...
  

No comments:

Post a Comment