www.ShoptheLibrary.com

Wednesday, May 2, 2012

What the hell is so great about '50 Shades of Grey'

More like 50 Shades of Ish
So the library has finally placed orders for 50 Shades of Grey.  It's only been requested by patrons every day I've worked for the past three weeks.  Last week, I finally decided to see what the buzz was all about.  Patrons always come up to the desk and tell me what I should read, I've followed through on a few recommendations and have not been disappointed.

One thing about me, I don't like to NOT finish a book once I've started reading it.  But 50 Shades of Grey is only going to be the second book I've stopped reading, the first was The Elegance of the Hedgehog, came off as really pretentious to me.  50 Shades of Grey is just a story with terrible writing with a terrible characters and plot.  Put simply it's literary smut, just because there isn't some Flabio on the cover, don't be fooled.

**Spoiler Alert**  Take one young, inexperienced female with low self-esteem who does not think she looks good, add one extremely rich, wunderkind, who looks like a male supermodel with a permanent Photoshop filter turned on, who gets whatever he wants and somehow only wants said-female and blammo, you end up with a bunch of ish.

All I know is that the people behind the marketing of this book series are pure marketing geniuses who could convince a slug to invest in salt.   Here's a great drinking game for this horrid, horrid book: you take a shot every time a character "murmurs."  You will undoubtedly end up in an alcohol-induced coma only a quarter into the book and you can thank me later when you wake up in hospital without any memory of the book.

12 comments:

  1. Ugh! This piece of crap. Thank God I'm a youth services librarian and I don't have to talk to people about this book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. On the YS flip-side, you have to deal with all that vampire BS, is that fad over yet??

      Delete
  2. I agree completely! Every time I hear the book mentioned, I think to myself, "How in the hell did this get on the New York Times Bestseller list?!" However, since I bought the trilogy on a whim, I forced myself through all three books. HUGE waste of $40.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ANON, man, I'm so sorry!
      Knowing how litigious this country is, there probably will be some class-action lawsuit from everyone else who have at least some basic level of intelligence who also got ripped off by these horrid books. Unfortunately, you and I will never get the time back wasted reading it.

      Delete
  3. I would have to agree - I did read the trilogy only to think what is all the fuss? - if you were to tell someone you were in a relationship with a guy who wanted to control what you wore, who you could see, where you could work etc and acted like a sulky petulant teenager every time he didnt get his way and thought he should physically punish you if you didn't obey him they would tell you to leave immediately - what a waste of time and money!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello ANON,
      Would you like to join my class action lawsuit?
      I don't get the appeal at all, is it wrong to think that she "has daddy issues" ?

      Delete
  4. Drinking game addendum: If you want to get alcohol poisoning, take a drink every time Christian touches "the apex of my thighs" or "my sex." I am dumber for having read these books.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks ANON!
      I will definitely have to make a post for a drinking game. Until I can create a time machine so that every reader can redo the worst mistake they've ever made in their entire life, an alcohol induced coma will have to suffice.

      Delete
  5. I searched google for "What the fuck is this 50 shades of grey book" because I hear about it so much. Thank you for being the #1 link on google. As for "how" this happened - I need only call to your attention that 2 and a half men is the #1 show of all time in the US. That should pretty much explain it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This will go down as the number one most read post of my blog... Damn you E.L.!

      True, people are sheeple: eat this, watch this, listen to this music, buy this. I tried watching an episode of "Two and a Half Men," I couldn't stand 5 minutes of it.

      Delete
  6. What do you expect from an "author" who was inspired to write this after reading Twilight! I was watching some 20/20 thing on her, and as soon as she said that she loved Twilight I knew enough!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, when one of my librarian friends told me that it was based off of Twilight fan-fic, I couldn't believe it made the bestseller list. Isn't that THE BEST reason for no one to read it!??!

      Delete