www.ShoptheLibrary.com

Tuesday, December 15, 2009

The Last Supper

So last week we had our annual office holiday party.  It was a potluck event, so I brought my usual drinks.  I actually like the majority of my coworkers and would not subject them to my cooking skills or lack thereof.

Unlike last year, we had the full 2 hours to enjoy eachothers company with out any worries of work.  Not this year.  The first hour we grubbed and the second hour was reserved to sadden and depress everyone.  The branch manager gave us a recap of the lastest manager's meetings and the budget talks.  Which pretty much amounted to nothing, since one cannot say for certainty what the budget cuts will bring until they take place.  But she pretty much said that A LOT of people will be cut.  Seeing as how they will be doing it on seniority and a lot of my coworkers have been with the library system since the Stone Age aka Card Stamp days, I really do not think I will have this position in a couple of months.

The managers tried to assuage everyone's fears, saying that there's always a chance the library will be spared a double digit cut, but we all know that won't happen.  Reminded me of a line in "Dumb and Dumber":

Me: What do you think the chances are of an employee like me and an employer like you... still working together next year?
Library: Well, Bibliotecher, that's difficult to say. I mean, we don't really...
Me: Hit me with it! Just give it to me straight! I've worked really hard, Library. The least you can do is level with me. What are my chances?
Library: Not good.
Me: You mean, not good like one out of a hundred?
Library: I'd say more like one out of a million.
 ...
 .....
Me: So you're telling me there's a chance... *YEAH!*

No comments:

Post a Comment