www.ShoptheLibrary.com

Sunday, December 27, 2009

Rules of Circ #23 (RoC)

"Do Not Look a Gift Horse in the Mouth"

I had a gentleman approach me at the desk yesterday asking if there was a manager on duty.  I've learned from past experience that my lack of authority > manager's ineptitude.
So I told him that I could look in the back for one to which he replied, "Well, maybe you can help me."

He had overdue fees on his card in excess of $50.  All for the same 4 books, he apparently failed to comprehend the "Renewal" process.  He was playing his violin and was talking about how he needed it to study and before he knew it, his fees procreated into the amount it was today.

He asked if there "was anything that could be done about it."  Like he was expecting me to wave a magic wand and *poof* make it entirely disappear, which in all reason I could.  But I used my "Win/Win Tactic," I told him that if he paid half of it today, I could forgive the rest.  Apparently that wasn't good enough for him because didn't jump at this 'once in a lifetime opportunity' that I just presented him.  I even told him that any manager would not even offer to forgive this much, he still didn't accept it.

I know times are rough and I am more than willing to help out patrons but offer them an inch and some of them expect a mile.

2 comments:

  1. very true, this does occur from time to time

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have to put on armor for the .30 cent fees I collect.

    ReplyDelete