www.ShoptheLibrary.com

Wednesday, January 19, 2011

How To Pass Time on the Desk...

Tuesday nights are "fun." Fun because only the part timers, info and circ, close the branch. When all of the full time managers walk out the door, there is a collective sigh of relief. It's the whole, "when the cat's away, the mice will play." Having fun while at work-- gasp! It's a concept that managers seem to forget, plus it seems very fitting since it involves cats and libraries.

I find myself doing the oddest things to pass the time. I believe the uber-strict internet filters play a big role in this. I found this measuring tool hidden in the supply closet. I really don't see the justification to have one in every branch, it's not like we have to recreate parking lot accidents on a daily basis. I have no other idea what it could be used for. Just another waste of government money if you ask me.

Anyways, this little thing kept me occupied for the last hour or so. I would make wagers with my coworkers on anything I could measure: the width and length of the library, the distance between the info and circ desk. This picture is the measurement of the circ desk from end to end.

If there's any "branch-pride" to be had, it would have to be about having the longest circulation desk. It's infamous within the library system, other branch staff refer to it as, "The Queen Mary of Circ Desks." Yeah, I get bored pretty easily if there aren't any patrons to people-watch...

No comments:

Post a Comment